What is WSO2 Carbon ?
WSO2 Carbon redefines middle-ware by providing an integrated and componentized middle-ware platform that adapts to the specific needs of any enterprise IT project – on premise or in the cloud. 100% open source and standards-based, WSO2 Carbon enables developers to rapidly orchestrate business processes, compose applications and develop services using WSO2 Developer Studio and a broad range of business and technical services that integrate with legacy, packaged and SaaS applications.
WSO2 Carbon kernel, the lean, modular, OSGi-based platform, is the base of the WSO2 Carbon platform. It is a composable server architecture which inherits modularity and dynamism from OSGi framework. WSO2 Carbon kernel can be considered as a framework for server development. All the WSO2 products are composed as a collection reusable components running on this kernel. These products/components inherits all the core services provided by Carbon kernel such as Registry/repository, User management, Transports, Caching, Clustering, Logging, Deployment related features.
- Composable Server Architecture – Provides a modular, light-weight, OSGi-based server development framework.
- Carbon Application(CApp) deployment support.
- Multi-Profile Support for Carbon Platform – Enables a single product to run on multiple modes/profiles.
- Carbon + Tomcat JNDI Context – Provides ability to access both carbon level and tomcat level JNDI resources to applications using a single JNDI context.
- Distributed Caching and Clustering functionality – Provides a distributed cache and clustering implementation which is based on Hazelcast- a group communication framework
- Pluggable Transports Framework – Based on Axis2 transports module.
- Registry/Repository API- Provides core registry/repository API for component developers.
- User Management API – Provides a basic user management API for component developers.
- Logging – Supports both Java logging as well as Log4j. Logs from both these sources will be aggregated to a single output
- Pluggable artifact deployer framework – Can be extended to deploy any kind of artifacts such as Web services, Web apps, Business processes, Proxy services, User stores etc.
- Deployment Synchronization – Provides synchronization of deployed artifacts across a product cluster.
- Ghost Deployment – Provides a lazy loading mechanism for deployed artifacts
- Multi-tenancy support – The roots of the multi-tenancy in Carbon platform lies in the Carbon kernel. This feature includes tenant level isolation as well as lazy loading of tenants.
- Simplified logging story with pluggable log provider support.
- Upgraded versions of Hazelcast, Log4j, BouncyCastle.
- Improved Composite application support.
- WSO2 Carbon kernel code is hosted in GitHub.
- Carbon 4.3.0 release work is carried out in “release-4.3.0” branch of this GitHub project.
- Please report issues at Carbon JIRA and Send your pull requests to branch.
WSO2 Carbon developers can be contacted via the mailing lists:
Cheers folks, Happy Coding 🙂